Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Thoughts of Steven Tanner

It's just a thoughts I had 4 years ago for my previous boss, Steven Tanner. I still have the same thoughts today...hope It will never change...

Jakarta, April 2003

I have a big boss named Steven Tanner. He is a Pisces, too. Maybe this that makes me, really understand him. We have many things in common. He is 42 years old. This year, I didn’t have to buy new candles to celebrate my 24th birthday that was exactly 1 week after his birthday.

Mr. ST (an abbreviation from “Sok Tau”) is my second boss. I first met him when I was an apprentice student at PT TAM. He was such a man who talks too much at the first meeting. He was asking the guitar that was under my desk, papers I worked on, Statistical proposal on my wall-desk, my college and so on. Lucky me, he didn’t ask what is my name. I’m sure that it would make him ask me more and more.

What I know about him at that time was only that he works for an actuarial consulting firm (I have no idea what kind of firm it was). Because I didn’t know what else to say, I told him that I have passed one exam that conducted by PAI, but I can’t afford to continue to other exams. Surprisingly, He walked fast to the division headroom.
“Jo, tell that child to continue studying actuary then I will pay the exam fee.” He pointed to me. Mrs. Johana Jonatan the woman he was talked to was smiling with humble. “I will, Steve. You know what? She is my niece.”
Then Mr. ST gave his business card to me and told me to contact him when I have finished my college.

Now, here I am, an actuarial analyst at Dayamandiri. Honestly, I don’t know what an actuarial analyst exactly is. But many things I have learned there. It’s not only about actuary, but also about a study of life. For Mr. ST, Life is not about money. He prefers to give all his salary than to see his employees can’t afford to eat. I’m sure that many people owe him. By the way, he promised that he would pay my tuition fee when he find out that I really dreamed of continuing my study. He keeps telling me that the important thing to be a smart one is by reading books. Mathematical books, of course.

One thing I hate from him, that he couldn’t keep his word to not understanding people, but accept them just the way they are. He will be extremely judgmental when he meets people who still don’t understand his rapidly explanation. The worst, he becomes a freaky man when people did not do tasks he gave like he wanted to.

Just like a Pisces usually is, Mr. ST is a moody person. We all could see whether he is in a good-mood or bad-mood by watching his face when he first get into the office room. Don’t talk to him when his face looks like a bulldog or his face is as cold as an ice. Talk to him when he is in a bad time means messing up your day!!

But, not like me, Mr ST has a heart that is wider than a soccer field. He will ask an apology after he mad to someone. Just wait for his SMS! But don’t forget to reply it, because he will keep sending the same SMS until you have replied it.

Mr St is not only a big boss for me. He is a friend, a father and a person who always give me a motivation to keep struggling in this life.

1 comment:

hengky said...

wow pon
nice boss you have there!