Saturday, March 20, 2010

You Can Only Guess If an Unexpected phone call will bother you or not…

These days we have many options way to communicate with others. Now talking on phone becomes something rare to do to me. I prefer to send a text message, an email or to have an on-line chatting with my family and mates. Therefore a phone call sometimes bothers me so much. Especially a phone call from an anonymous who is calling only to offer a product. I receive at least one akin phone call in a week. Most of them are telemarketer from a bank or an insurance company.

I often answer in an ill-mannered, and sometimes hang-up the phone right away when they are becoming loud-mouthed and did not want to receive any rejections from me. Sometimes I regret my reaction when thinking how disappointed the telemarketer will be.

Until one day I got my return. My boss asked me to assist other department in conducting a market survey on an offshore investment product. We have to call our big client-list and asking if they have any intention to buy the new product.

Following my experienced colleague’s suggestion, I started the survey at 2 pm. My first target was a woman who then asked me to contact her later since she was at the ATM at that time. I called the second mobile number on my list, but no one answered. I tried to call his office number several time, but the receptionist always said that the man was not at office. I put “Failed to contact” on the result column and moved to the next contact line. After that I could talk to the third candidate that immediately said “no” and disconnected the phone when I explained the reason I called her. The next woman I called also hanging-up the phone right away when I started to introduce my self.

After four times failed, I tried to call the client at their home telephone numbers. Finally I could talk to a woman who was with patience answering the 10 questions I asked, although most of her answers are “I don’t know”. As predicted before, the next five candidates I called were not at home. But I was feeling quite relieved by the nice responses I got from those who answered the phone. By the way they were talking; my prediction was that they are the helper at the house. It’s so ironic recalling the responses I got from the more educated people that was really impolite to me.

Then I move to the clients who are domiciled in other town. An old man – my prediction by recognizing his tone – was willing to join the survey. But what was happened next is I must listen to his 10 minutes complain on the services the man has been receiving in the five years of participation of one of my company’s investment-linked policy. I really wanted to scream so he could stop talking at the time. “Hey, I’m not a hot-line service girl!” Thanks God he finally turned down his voice after I said that I will report his complains to the company’s management.

The next conversation with other respondent was also got my nerves, so I decided to stop calling the clients. “I don’t deserve this”, I whispered. “I’m an assistant manager of a multinational insurance company who earned a master degree from the top university in Indonesia. But Hey..do they care who I am? Off-course not. What they know that I was only somebody who unexpectedly called them and bothered their activities at that time.

After two days calling, I got 5 respondents over the 30 clients list I have. My friend who often does the telemarketing said that it was a good achievement for an amateur like me. I really can’t imagine how stressful I am going to be If I have to do the job everyday.

Afterwards, I turn to be a woman who always tries to talk nicely to everyone on phone. But in the busy time, I prefer to ignore or press the red button when receiving a phone-call from someone whose number is not recorded in my phone-book. Because I can only guess if the unexpected call will bother me or not.

No comments: